POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to alter existing texture? : Re: How to alter existing texture? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 03:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to alter existing texture?
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Dec 2021 04:20:00
Message: <web.61c04a3bf25cddba4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Timothy Groves <tim### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> ...Rather than hand-editing the entire texture, is there a
> quick and dirty way to say, "this texture, only darker?"

I'm not *sure* that the following idea or exact syntax would work, but it's
worth a try.

For your 'darker' texture, pre-#declare it like this:

#declare T_Stone29_DARK =
texture{
     average
     texture_map{
          [1 T_Stone29]
          [1 pigment{rgb 0}] // simply black
                }
       }

Then you can vary the 'weight' of the black pigment in the average, to get a
darker shade of T_Stone29 (instead of 1, maybe 0.5, etc.) Then use both of the
#declared textures, in whatever way you need to, on the object.

I admit that this is a rather crude way of getting such a result.

Personally, I *would* hand-edit the original texture instead-- by simply
reducing its finish{diffuse...} value--  then re-#declare it as a separate
texture.