POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : How to build console version : Re: How to build console version Server Time
26 Apr 2024 21:03:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to build console version
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Dec 2021 04:00:00
Message: <web.61c04546729242014cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Alessio Sangalli <man### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Right now I am on a Window machine and I have Visual Studios 2015 AND
> 2019. Unfortunately I am not an expert of this environment. I would like
> to compile the console version of the program (I honestly never use the
> GUI anyway).
> Nevermind, it was just easier to open a Kubuntu virtual machine and I
> compiled POV-Ray effortlessly.

Congratulations for getting the compiling to successfully work.

I am a long-time user of POV-Ray on Windows, with its native GUI, but I know
almost nothing about Ubuntu OR even how to compile programs. I assume that you
are now running your compiled version IN Windows.

Some questions:
1) Does the compiled program have to be run in the Kubuntu virtual-machine
environment in order to work, or does it run successfully in the native Windows
environment? Or both?

2) Does Kubuntu also allow a GUI to be built for such a compiled version of
POV-Ray? If so, does the resulting program then have to be run in the Kubuntu
environment?

Sorry if my questions might be naive ones; but there are those of us here who
would like to compile POV-Ray from its source code to run on Windows, but don't
know how (because of all of the complicated DLLs required, etc.) I am also
thinking of several 'forks' of POV-Ray that are currently not compiled for
Windows, like William Pokorny's  'povr' branch.