POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Turn a string of digits into a number? : Turn a string of digits into a number? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 01:01:51 EDT (-0400)
  Turn a string of digits into a number?
From: Jonathan Bush
Date: 1 Dec 2021 18:30:00
Message: <web.61a80414e484efb8d80ced0afde6c206@news.povray.org>
String functions for POVray include ways to turn a numerical value into a
string. But is there a function to do the converse, turn a string of digits into
an integer? Of course there is a workaround, use a loop and multiply the value
you have by 10 with each iteration as you examine the string from left to right.
That seems awkward to me. Please tell me I missed something.

My specific task is to write a script that will parse move notation for a board
game and produce an image of the position, possibly animated.

Thanks