POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moving indoors : Re: Moving indoors Server Time
26 Apr 2024 02:45:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moving indoors
From: Chris R
Date: 16 Aug 2021 13:00:00
Message: <web.611a99377919aade6fb991d75cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > For a change of pace, I started playing with an indoor scene.  I couldn't help
> > myself, however, and included a window that looks out to a sunset sky.
> >
> > The scene is a low view of a pool-table near the window of a pool hall, looking
> > out across the street to a hardware store.  I used the brick and wood tools I
> > had developed earlier and discussed here in a previous post for the interior
> > walls of the pool hall and the exterior wall of the hardware store.
> >
> > The pool table is a bit too shiny, but I like the reflection of the store across
> > the street.  I will share another view from a higher vantage point that shows
> > the asphalt road, complete with a crack that I spent way too much time on.
> >
> > The ceiling of the pool hall is covered with can lights.  I originally had each
> > one of them be a fading light source, but since there are so many it took
> > forever to render with little effect on the scene.  Instead, they are now just
> > emitting light, and a few of them near the viewpoint are actual light sources,
> > as is the pool-table light above the table.
> >
> > I'd like to put an awning over the hardware store, but have to play around with
> > cloth first.  I also want to put a neon sign on the pool hall that is partially
> > visible through the window.  I'm sure that will add another few hours of
> > reflection rendering.
> >
> > -- Chris R
> >

> That pool table have been freshly repainted with high gloss paint.
>
> As other have mentioned, you should use fresnel reflection, and, if
> using version 3.8, also use fresnel at the finish level for the highlights.
> Don't forget to add an interior block to define the IOR.

This was my first crack at updating the scene to use fresnel reflections.  I'm
not entirely happy with it, so I am rerunning with some different min/max
reflection values for the pool table.  I noticed the highlights on the table
from the ceiling lights seem more pronounced now, but I'm not sure if I like
them that way.

-- Chris R

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scene_1.2_2021-08-16.png' (807 KB)

Preview of image 'scene_1.2_2021-08-16.png'
scene_1.2_2021-08-16.png