POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms : Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms Server Time
26 Apr 2024 09:43:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
From: jr
Date: 3 Jun 2021 05:00:00
Message: <web.60b898d8cb27e48a79819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Hi everyone,
>
> anyone trying to compile POV-Ray with a modern version of OpenEXR - i.e.
> 3.0.0 or higher - will have noticed that we're having some snag there.
>
> The reason behind this is that some time in the past, Industrial Light
> and Magic (who had kicked off the OpenEXR thingumajig) had transferred
> the whole shebang to the public, who picked up the ball and ran with it
> like crazy.
>
> Now, in March this year, this transfer has left its mark to the
> structure of the project itself, leading to two major changes:
>
> (1) The OpenEXR library, which used to be named `IlmImf` (for Intustrial
> Light and Magic Image Format), has now officially been renamed to `OpenEXR`.
>
> (2) An accompanying library, providing low-level mathematical stuff,
> like a 16-bit floating-point data type, that used to go by the moniker
> `IlmBase`, has been renamed to `Imath`.
>
> This breaks all our builds, because those are not the libraries we are
> looking for.
>
> And someone needs to fix this.

my knowledge of the autotools is limited, but a quick look in 'unix/config'
shows that various macros test for the various libs, and 'ax_check_openexr.m4'
uses 'pkg-config' to do its thing.  looks like as long as 'pkg-config' is
up-to-date, only actual changed names of header files should impact.

> I think Lovecraft must have had premonitions of the POV-Ray parser code...

:-)

regards, jr.