POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
5 May 2024 06:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 May 2021 07:25:00
Message: <web.60b0d1e22344a9a11f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> for all the reasons you gave etc.  the thread however, as I understood it, is
> about building up a .. repository of scripts, snippets, related info on "foo"
> required, etc.  all, again aiui, to be summarised + published on the wiki,
> eventually.  a user-to-user resource.

Right.
One the one hand is the horror of what clipka describes, but on the other is
what I perceived as a tangible lack of concise organized instructions for doing
a basic install from scratch - right on the POV-Ray website, where someone would
expect it to be.

So, whatever it turns out to be, I think the realistic goal is to outline the
steps required for a successful install, along with some helpful caveats and
commentary about each step if necessary/desireable.

To illustrate this in part, TOK wrote, "And since Ubuntu's repository version
was already installed, I did not want to mess up things by running the sudo make
install command."

And if TOK doesn't want to screw things up, I'm betting a newbie isn't even
going to have the bravery to try.  I often don't know what "standard"
directories things get installed into, and from past threads, even those
locations are debated amongst experienced Unix/Linux users.

jr very kindly led me through a recent install of the povr branch, and somehow a
wrench got thrown into the works that puzzled everyone including WFP.  It got
sorted out - only because these people were "present", online, and asking
questions and running tests of their own in a timely manner.   That's a rare
luxury, and not something that's going to be available to some random person out
there thinking to themselves, "Hey, maybe I'll installl this POV-Ray thing..."
Which is exactly what we want people to do - install povray.

So I think the goal is not to have a bulletproof script, but to address the
problem of having next-to-no instructions on how to compile your own install,
and at least cut down on the number of forum posts required to get that to
happen with a minimum pucker factor.

> I have attached the 'ldd' output for POV-Ray 3.7.0.8, as installed on a Debian
> system, via 'apt-get'.  I leave it to you to .. rationalise the linking to
> 'pulseaudio' and other such.  ;-)

I'm just gonna take a stab at that one and say that maybe there's the error and
render sounds - if those even happen in a linux install...