POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
26 Apr 2024 03:06:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 May 2021 07:30:00
Message: <web.609d0d4f2344a9a11f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> Most linux users should install
> from existing packages, not compile and install.

Perhaps you or someone else could expand / clarify.

> Further, our 'default'
> build system should not by default, try to overwrite such provided
> packages on a 'make install.'

Yes, I would especially like an installation to be able to preserve things like
the insert menu and inc files, or at least make directories off to the side
specifically labeled for user-created stuff, so they don't get overwritten on
re-install / update of new version.

The clearer it is about how to do thing on 'nix, the easier it will be for
people wanting to transition away from certain other O$'s to do so.