POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
26 Apr 2024 15:43:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 May 2021 19:15:00
Message: <web.609b0f032344a9a11f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> This sounds like an excellent thread for povray.unix.

It does.

> Indeed, it seems you already started one there last June.

I sorta remember that.  ;)

> Unless you're inviting Windows and Mac users to contribute their own tips?

Yes.  I think the primary motivation is addressing the paucity of information
that is available on the official webpage with regard to installation,
especially for 3.8 alpha.

I think a lot of people would like to use it, and would benefit from the
additions and changes made since 3.7 stable.

For the unix-specific packages, I think that a lot of people - out in the world
- might want to install povray but don't know how, and getting 3.8 properly
working might be daunting enough to overall prevent them from doing so.

Which would be shame, as we should be promoting the creation of new users
aggressively.

And it would be so nice to just have a fairly straightforward and easy-to-follow
plan for getting official povray, hgpovray38, and povr all installed so I could
use whichever one I wanted.  Without breaking something.