POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc /= Proof Of Concept Server Time
2 May 2024 06:56:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc /= Proof Of Concept
From: Mr
Date: 21 Apr 2021 09:50:00
Message: <web.60802cfe5688da016adeaecb3f378f2@news.povray.org>
> I think we are on the verge of version 2.0 of granites21.inc. Thanks to
> your comments important improvements have been made or are pending. So,
> thank you indeed for your comprehensive contributions.
>
> Attached are examples of the latest developments. All the textures have
> been wrapped into material{} with an ior of quartz (1.6) and now include
> a finish with fresnel. The tentative to use the albedo keyword however,
> has been abandoned for the time being as too difficult apparently to use
> in any way. Without being exclusive, thanks to Alain and Maurice, and of
> course the usual suspects Bald Eagle and Kenneth.
>
> In a next stage, the use of more elaborate macros are planned, including
> sslt possibilities for instance. Bald Eagle has proposed a first version
> of such a macro and I am going to study it and see how to integrate
> things. In the same way, Jr proposed a HowTo html file where for
> instance the content of the headers and additional info can be provided.
> Thanks to both of you.
>
> More discussions can and will follow here of course, but a new version
> of the package will be uploaded in a new post in due time.
>
> --
> Thomas

Getting closer indeed! Now it has much more scale variations. Credit
(unwillingly :-P) deserved by Ive for showing us merits of the original files.
It might appear one could still prefer Ive's restored original version for the
single occurrences showed. At least its contrast curve could stay the reference.

But as you geologist said, its bigger scale is misleading. For having struggled
to do something that stays consistent at various scales, I know that you're
tackling something more demanding but keep hope, do not give up, try to reach an
as pleasing color curve. Theoretically, it could even get better than the
original as the new pov version can produce more nuances. I believe at this
stage showing both the current one and a much closer up framed render would do
it justice.

*Saturation of the colors should be slighly more and brightness slightly less,
but don't look at the picture straight out of the renderer, only after applying
it the gamma above 1.8 and below 2.5. if your rendered frame display gamma
doesn't do that. I would try playing either in very small amounts with the
brilliance keyword. or switch to another shading model if they did get
implemented since Uberpov? if they haven't the #brilliance shift kind of does
that "shading model translation" (OrenNayar Blinn would have sigmas for various
rocks well referenced I think).

*The specularity looks somewhat wrong sorry to be that vague: did you use
specular or phong, because what I more clearly meant was that it looks like
phong : too blurry.

Now it's just all bonus, though, the material feels really official includable
level already!

Thanks for your work !