POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc /= Server Time
15 May 2024 14:57:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc /=
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 21 Apr 2021 07:10:00
Message: <web.608007cf64981f5c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> but how will a numpty like self know how to select?

You won't.  It will be one those fun mystery things, like a grab-bag, an egg
hunt, voting.  Or dating.

Actually, part of the idea I had, which is somewhat demonstrated in the stuff I
posted for TdG, is that, while not self-documenting, the code can be made to be
"self-documentable" - in that, the verbose feature embedded into all of the
macros could be turned on by such an array instantiation macro, and then you'd
generate a list of entries upon execution.  Really, the idea was to have them
available for random selection...

> I do hope that there will a
> few introductory paragraphs discussing, and a small table laying out, the
> principal (POV-Ray) components making "granite"; their role and useful parameter
> ranges, etc.

Could do that, or issue a #warning depending on values of macro parameters.
Might just imply correct values by using min/max in macro definition, or
comments.

I agree, but I can see the line between "include file" and "geology textbook"
becoming rapidly blurred.