POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : antialiasing fails with very bright objects : Re: antialiasing fails with very bright objects Server Time
2 May 2024 22:03:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: antialiasing fails with very bright objects
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Feb 2021 22:05:00
Message: <web.603712da1995ddafd98418910@news.povray.org>
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >
> > It seems that if every entry in max(...) is actually EQUAL, the overall
> > function returns all THREE values (combined? added?), not just one.

> Yes.  Because OverOne is a function that acts more like a flag - because you
> wanted to look at pixels with ANY component of the rgb color vector over one.
> [snip]

Clear and concise; thanks a bunch. The docs for max(...) don't touch on any of
this, although I guess it's 2nd-nature knowledge to programmers. Parts of your
explanation should be included there, in my humble opinion...for poor folks like
me.

BTW, there are seemingly simple and straightforward parts of your code that
fascinate me... because I would not have expected them to work:
[using my own example...]

#declare Filename =
"C:\\Users\\Computer\\Documents\\Kens new POV-Ray scenes\\A1.png"

then yours...
#declare ImageMap = pigment {image_map {Filename}}

I've actually never done this kind of thing before(!)-- mainly because I
couldn't get the initial file path syntax to work until now. But I digress...
In essence,
          Filename =
               "A1.png" -- or maybe just  A1.png  with no quotes ?

One is an 'image string' (which is understandable as a #declared string), the
other is just... naked. In any case,
            #declare ImageMap = pigment {image_map {Filename}}
looks like it would end up as
            #declare ImageMap = pigment {image_map {"A1.png"}}
or just
            #declare ImageMap = pigment {image_map {A1.png}}

.... neither with the usually-required prefix   png "A1.png", although AFAIU,
maybe the prefix isn't absolutely required anyway.

Yet it works. I suspect that at least the double-quote version of A1.png is
correctly being recognized, although I'm not sure as to where the double quotes
arise from. Is it because the entire file-path name is itself in double quotes?