POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : antialiasing fails with very bright objects : Re: antialiasing fails with very bright objects Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:08:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: antialiasing fails with very bright objects
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Feb 2021 17:35:01
Message: <web.602af4871995ddafd98418910@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > The basic problem is that my old Photoshop apparently saves PNG files with a
> > *very* wrong embedded gamma-- 4.4 (!) ...
>
> OK then, my question is : Why did you post process your image in
> Photoshop ? You could have just posted the original, untouched, PNG.

I used PS (my 'favorite' but flawed image-editing app) only because I needed to
combine my 6 original PNG POV-ray renders into a single presentation-- along
with text notes-- for posting here. Then I saved it as PNG-- a mistake.
*Usually*, I save the resulting single image as a JPEG, but I forgot that my
older PS has a gamma problem when saving a PNG file (even though the combined
image 'looks' correct in PS and most of my other apps.)

> Was it to resize it ? Then, for that task, Photoshop is gross overkill.
> If I want to do that, I'd use IrfanView. It's lightweight, free, can
> perform the combining of several images as you did and properly handle
> the PNG gamma.

As strange as it seems, I've never used Irfanview for such tasks(!) I only use
it as an image viewer, and not very often; Photoshop is just more familiar to
me.

Obviously, I need to investigate what Irfanview can do. Thanks for the 'nudge'
;-)