POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Alpha channel : Re: Alpha channel Server Time
26 Apr 2024 07:28:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alpha channel
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Jan 2021 12:35:01
Message: <web.6015985f8ebab0251f9dae300@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Looking at your example, I found the guilty !
> The sky_sphere pigment has transmit attribute...
>
> background { color <0,0,0> }
>  => no alpha channel
>
> background { color <0,0,0> transmit 1 }
>  => alpha channel OK !
>
> *transmit* is a key
> I don't remember needing to add this in the old versions.

Right - but if you created an object with transmit 1, then you wouldn't even see
it at all.  So your background with "transmit 1" is invisible - so why even have
it?
Just delete / comment out those lines.

If background and sky_sphere can be overwritten with new values, it might be
useful to pop a little macro into a newbie include file that will be the last
line in the .pov file.  Then background and sky_sphere can be overwritten with
clear textures a s a quick diagnostic / fix, and as a reminder to those who
haven't used it in a long time...

include "newuser.inc"
transparent_background ()