POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New Earth Station : Re: New Earth Station Server Time
2 May 2024 19:54:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Earth Station
From: Mr
Date: 11 Jan 2021 13:05:01
Message: <web.5ffc92b69d01a6986adeaecb0@news.povray.org>

http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Migrate_old_scenes_to_work_with_the_new_gamma_system

> > This will allow you to use and actually take enourmous advantage in such a
> > scene, of inverse power law (new in POV3.8 and the most realistic), for every
> > light :
> > fade_distance 0
> > (requires  #version 3.8 directive at very top of the file)
>
> Took quite some adjustments to light brightness and also some colors,
> The result looks much more natural though. I think the gamma problem was
> what made many of my scenes look strange somehow.
>
> Maybe not the final version, but to show the difference I've attached
> the version with assumed_gamma 1.0, file and display gamma 2.2
>
> But it looked very bland with those settings so I used the color-curve
> tool in GIMP to enhance the contrast.
>
> --
> Some of my PovRay works:
> https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D

What you could use gimp for is to find the corrected color hues to gain back
lost saturation. Did you switch colors to srgb as well? Hue dynamics potential
is much greater. In fact it already shows in both planets, and the main ship
side light projectors.  It's normal the image appears washed out at this stage.
Do not despair ! It's really going to be worth it.