POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2D QRD Design Visualization : Re: 2D QRD Design Visualization Server Time
1 May 2024 03:45:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D QRD Design Visualization
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 7 Jan 2021 17:55:01
Message: <web.5ff78fda1bc6d66387570eab0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Sound absorbing vs. sound scattering: I have to admit that I never thought about
> the differences(!) Thanks for the brain-boost ;-)  My previous ideas about
> modifying my local venue's L-shaped corner involved using lots of
> randomly-oriented carpeted/padded panels, sticking out from the walls. (Based on
> low cost.) But perhaps the panels should have hard surfaces(?) I obviously need
> to do more research, ha. (Not that I have much chance of implementing the idea,
> sad to say.)

Yes, there's a lot to learn about acoustics, it's a really complex topic.
General rule: absorption > diffusion

This is a site that I've referenced for years regarding the effectiveness of
various absorption materials (I prefer mineral wool over fiberglass):

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Here's a great short video (from a studio legend) on making some absorber
panels, very similar to the methods I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdFQ4LOpCMk

I don't know where you're located but here's a link to a Florida company that
sells all kinds of materials, from bundles of mineral wool panels and fabric to
fully built professional panels of all kinds:

https://www.acoustimac.com/

These are the raw mineral wool panels that I use:

https://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-insulation-materials/acoustic-insulation/mineral-wool-acoustic-insulation/roxul-rb8
-2in

You can also order an equivalent product from Grainger if you have one of those
near you, but the price is about the same as having Acoustimac ship it to me
here in North Carolina (and I don't have to drive and pick it up).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Rob