POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2D QRD Design Visualization : Re: 2D QRD Design Visualization Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:30:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D QRD Design Visualization
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 4 Jan 2021 18:55:03
Message: <web.5ff3a99b1bc6d66387570eab0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Would the real-life project be easier (and still perform as intended) if the
> blocks were made from some kind of plastic foam, instead of wood?

I don't think so, the mass of the wood helps to scatter the sound waves, lighter
materials don't work as well.

> I also play in a classic-rock band; but for the past nine months, we have
> managed to play only about once per month, and only *outside* due to safety
> precautions re: Covid-19. (And we all wear masks except when performing/singing
> on-stage.) Still not a truly safe environment, I admit. Personally, I would have
> preferred to stay safe at home instead. But I was out-voted :-\

Yeah, I opted to stay home

> Our band's bass-guitar player is currently setting up a home recording studio;
> I'll tell him about your experiment.

This is render of a 1D QRD design based on prime number 13, also a 2x4 foot
profile. The diffusion range isn't quite as wide (~520 Hz to ~4500 Hz) but it's
a LOT easier to build, and sounds really good in a small space. I built three of
these a couple of months ago. The the wells are 6" deep and 1.5" wide, with
0.25" wide slats. Blocks for the wells are symmetrical and simple to cut and
glue at depths (in inches, from my POV file):

#declare BlockScale = array[13] {
   1.0,
   0.001,  // 0 IRL
   4.5,
   1.5,
   4.0,
   5.5,
   6.0,
   5.5,
   4.0,
   1.5,
   4.5,
   0.001,  // 0 IRL
   1.0
}

Cheers,
Rob

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'qrd_1d_13_diffuser.png' (3422 KB)

Preview of image 'qrd_1d_13_diffuser.png'
qrd_1d_13_diffuser.png