POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sundial and shadow problem : Re: Sundial and shadow problem Server Time
27 Apr 2024 00:56:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sundial and shadow problem
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Jan 2021 08:45:08
Message: <web.5ff1ca30346ceddf1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Little brain teaser : the attached image is part of an animation that
> simulates a simplified sundial. In order not to overload the image, the
> shadow of the sundial has been removed with the "no_shadow" attribute.
> But not for the gnomon to get the "time". As you can see, its shadow is
> also projected on the ground "through" the wall.
>
> So, how to remove this shadow on the floor but keep the shadow on the wall ?

That's indeed a crazy little problem, and a wonderful brain-teaser.
It's before 2nd coffee, so all I can suggest is to have you main light source
(maybe with parallel) and then put a second light source on the back side of the
wall, in line with the light / point-at vector...

Do you need a shadow on the floor?   What if THAT had no_shadow as well?
I'm sure there may be something you can do with light groups to separate the
components of the scene.  Perhaps the gnomon and wall in one group, and the
floor in the other.