POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bluebell Wood : Re: Bluebell Wood Server Time
9 May 2024 16:58:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bluebell Wood
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 21 Nov 2020 17:00:00
Message: <web.5fb98c9e9fb6f5f7aa6014a80@news.povray.org>
> What I always find difficult to emulate is the light combined with the
> texture/transparency of the leaves. I have your technique about the
> leaves (faked translucency mapping) and also use double_illuminate. It
> is the atmospheric media which is often difficult to do. Isotropy is
> fairly straightforward, but I often prefer the use of Henyey-Greenstein
> scattering withou too extreme eccentricity.
>
> --
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

in my last images I divide them in a diffuse and a media part. It doubles the
render times, but there is no way to reproduce the quality when doing it
combined.

I'm not totally sure, but some related issues seem to evaporate by this approach
too...
The way I do the media render is to simply multiply the diffuse, specular, phong
and reflection values with zero (I hate this procedure by the way).

And wow, you are really in the media types - fantastic!
I simply tested the media types and used the best looking - here's my setup

#version 3.7;

global_settings {
        assumed_gamma 1
        max_trace_level 5
        noise_generator 2
}

#include "stdinc.inc"

light_source {
        <0,0,95131>,
        srgb 2.5
        area_light <1000,0,0>, <0,1000,0> 5,5 adaptive 0 jitter circular orient
        rotate <-52,160,0>
}

box {
        <-35,-0.8,-80>, <35,90,30>
        hollow
        material {
                texture {
                        pigment {color rgbt 1}
                }
                interior {
                        media {
                                scattering {3, 0.005}
                                intervals 1
                                samples 50
                        }
                }
        }
}

I mostly use standard finishes (65 meshes used in this image, perhaps 250
textures - no way to adapt them all individually - so "finish {specular 0.3
roughness 0.0003 diffuse 0.6 ambient 0}" has to do it...

Norbert