POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020 : Re: city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020 Server Time
15 May 2024 08:49:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020
From: Kenneth
Date: 6 Oct 2020 23:55:00
Message: <web.5f7d3b6232341a55d98418910@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Time to add some more RAM

Or else to render less-complex scenes! :-P

I do like my old Windows 7 machine, but it has it's limitations, as I'm seeing
now... unless I try increasing the RAM 'over its limit' as Bald Eagle suggested.

Meanwhile, I just came up with a simple trick to make the *many* semi-repetitive
buildings look a bit different from each other: by randomly varying their
finish{diffuse...} values. I don't know why that idea didn't occur to me before.

It wasn't easy to implement, because of the way the building textures are
constructed-- but it turned out to be a simple code change in the end.

The effect may look subtle in this example image-- the buildings all use the
same window image_map and 'concrete' color-- but it looks quite nice when it's
'multiplied' by all of the various buildings and their image_maps.

BTW, I have added 3 more 'window images' to me collection-- now at 37!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'buildings_comp_10_6_20.jpg' (757 KB)

Preview of image 'buildings_comp_10_6_20.jpg'
buildings_comp_10_6_20.jpg