POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : latest FIREFOX prevents connection to newsgroups : latest FIREFOX prevents connection to newsgroups Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:32:44 EDT (-0400)
  latest FIREFOX prevents connection to newsgroups
From: Kenneth
Date: 30 Aug 2020 04:50:00
Message: <web.5f4b676811ebb3bdd98418910@news.povray.org>
I have always used a web browser to connect to the newsgroups here (I currently
use the latest version of Firefox, on Windows 7). Beginning around June of 2020,
Firefox decided to deprecate some older https security protocols, called "TLS
1.0" and "TLS 1.1"-- replacing them with "TLS 1.2"-- the result being that
Firefox will no longer connect to the newsgroups. See this link...

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2020/02/its-the-boot-for-tls-1-0-and-tls-1-1/

At present, Firefox allows a user to 'roll back' to those previous TLS versions
(which is how I connected for this post), but it is only a temporary fix;
Firefox plans to fully eliminate those earlier protocols in the future. It seems
that the POV-Ray newsgroup page(s) need to be upgraded to the TLS 1.2 protocol,
if possible.

By the way, this problem does not seem to affect the main povray.org site or the
downloads page, just the newsgroup portal.

I've included a screenshot of the Firefox error message that shows up, when
attempting to access the newsgroups.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'firefox_warning.jpg' (153 KB)