POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Get macro : Re: New Get macro Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:04:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Get macro
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Aug 2020 18:30:01
Message: <web.5f443f1d4810ab9f1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,

> > "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > > when using 'file_exists()', you can use absolute file names.
> >
> > We can,
> > but the idea was to check for a file that contains the full path created by the
> > pwd command.
>
> not sure I understand.  "file contains", like you want to 'grep' file(s) for
> some path?

No, I want to use the shell to write the PWD environment variable to a text file
using > to redirect the output, since the user can't access that directly
through POV-Ray.

pwd stands for Print Working Directory. It prints the path of the working
directory, starting from the root.
pwd is shell built-in command(pwd) or an actual binary(/bin/pwd).
$PWD is an environment variable which stores the path of the current directory.

> > If it doesn't exist, it will be created, after the render is forcibly
> > terminated.
>
> does the 'post_scene_command' get run when POV-Ray terminates with an error?

It does not, but a terminal error command does, which is presumably what #error
invokes/creates.

> yes.  (anything "executable")

Well, single command lines can be defined right there in the ini file statement.
I didn't know if one could just make a list of them and they'd all be executed,
or if I needed to do that outside of the ini file.

> given the above, perhaps even a controlling (shell) script which invokes POV-Ray
> as and when needed?

Maybe.  But that's presently outside my area of experience / expertise.

Though it does give me some cool ideas with regard to invoking POV-Ray from a
spreadsheet...