POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
3 May 2024 04:03:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Mr
Date: 12 Aug 2020 12:10:01
Message: <web.5f34113417b7b05f6adeaecb0@news.povray.org>

> Lastly, and this is mostly here for completeness, would be articles that deal
> with what _can't_ be done - and why.  This may help someone just starting a
> scene from unproductively pursuing a doomed strategy.  It's also a good place to
> discuss what scene coders probably do best - fake it with a workaround that's
> good enough to fool the eye from the chosen perspective.  Many people may be
> tempted to model the exact geometry of something, or a _whole_ something, when
> simply a close approximation and some clever texturing with normals will do the
> trick.   Billboarding.  Etc.

Great idea, only I hope it could be in an easy to evolve source like wiki for
instance, so that we could have the satisfaction of seeing stuff get crossed out
when new features and fixes get these issues resolved and workarounds
unnecessary.

> There should probably be a poll soliciting what actual users would like to see
> covered (and why), as well as a list of people they might like/hope to see
> invited articles by.   (It's early and this is by no means an inclusive list)
> Paul Bourke, Inigo Quilez, Tor Olav Kristensen, Jaime Vives Piqueres, Paul
> Nylander, Robert McGregor, Ive, Norbert Kern, Gilles Tran, Christoph Hormann,
> Samuel Benge ... and others which I may not even be aware of.

Awesome and besides such obviously talented artists, In that list, space may be
also available to the talented persons who so often help new comers and even
advanced users to troubleshoot (thinking of all people like " Alain " (Martel?),
etc. ) to
give their most repeated or hard to find out pieces of advice.