POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:04:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: jr
Date: 31 Jul 2020 13:55:00
Message: <web.5f245a77f6dfcecf4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 31/07/2020 à 16:40, jr a écrit :
> > ... but reading the above made me realise that a modified '#fopen' which
> > supports command pipelines, aided by a new OPEN_TYPE for r/w access could do
> > "everything" anyway.  then we could write, eg:
> >
> > #fopen FP "| program" rdwr
> >
> > to communicate with 'program', making creating a directory, all sorts of stuff,
> > easy and convenient.  for instance write some calculated parameters to 'program'
> > and read back new, derived values.
>
> "Danger Will Robinson"
>
> This could lead to some system corruption... A reason that there is
> already io-restrictions: to protect the innocent.

:-)  true.  otoh, the imagined '|program' form of '#fopen' could be made subject
to the same '[Shellout Security]' setting as the pre/post commands.

> You already have "shell-out" capability, with pre & post, scene & frame
> level, so grouping actions should be doable to have all you need.

also true, I guess, that those commands can be used to do "everything".  still,
there are differences.  for instance, now, if I need to pass multiple/many
calculated values to 'program', I have to write a temporary file to be processed
by 'program', and then read the results on the next frame.  a modified '#fopen'
would allow a different programming style, and would in the example obviate the
need for temporary file(s) and animation control.

regards, jr.