POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:07:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Mr
Date: 27 Jul 2020 01:50:00
Message: <web.5f1e6a8217b7b05f6adeaecb0@news.povray.org>
> "Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:

> But there have been thousands of GREAT ideas and products out there that have
> died an "unfair" death just because of certain facts of life and human nature.
> And one always ignores those things at their peril.  (The VHS / Beta phenomenon
> amply illustrates this type of thing, as does political pandering to the morons
> who understand nothing and never will)
>
> Anyone who runs a business knows that nearly _50%_ of the budget may go straight
> into advertising.  And so I'd say that updating something like this:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4PmGLMyys
> [this is the kind of screen-casting software I was referring to in a post I
> can't find]
> (and look at the comments - jeez :O )
> would be time well spent, if it covers the major points to get someone started
> and using the product FAST.
> 1. Here's where you download it
> 2. Here's how you easily install it
> 3. Here's how you model a simple shape with enough complexity to not just be a
> scam demonstration
> 4. Here's how you go back and forth between POV-Ray and Blender.
>
> It's less documentation, more tutorial, and mostly promotion.
>
> And then the other thing that the advertisers know, is that you have to use
> REPETITION.
> The other thing that the advertisers know, is that you have to use REPETITION.
>
> Because you have to keep it in the forefront of the customer's consciousness.
>
> Because you have to use REPETITION.
>

> So - you're likely doing all the right things in product development, but you're
> not doing the things that you need to do in order to get people to use it.
> Once they use it, they'll give you feedback.
>

> > I did consider to rather invest all my time in Moray first, but it's build in
> > lower level language, that I know much less about. Currently very little of the
> > Blender addon is implemented in C++, only Syntax highlighting, the rest is all
> > Python awesomeness.
>
> I trust you, Maurice - I truly do.  I just had a bad Python experience once.
>

> > The logo used at the head of the documentation:
> > "Persistence of Vision" in the Maiandra GD font with bump cracks disappearing

> > two shiny transparent spheres was fine then... in the nineties. Even the blue
> > logo on the banner of the website is more modern, but the one on the POVwin
> > splash screen is better than both in this regard.
>
> Yeah - I don't mind the current logo / icon, but for outside advertising, we
> could use something a bit - flashier.
>
> > (please if you could avoid
> > abbreviating, at least the logo to "povray" that would be great for french
> > speakers, to which it sounds something like "RETARD" or "POORTHING", so any
> > time we communicate people just laugh.
>
> And now so am I.  :D
>
> French translation of 'you poor thing!'
> mon (ma) pauvre !

And POV did not go the VHS way because the tenacity of Chris Cason allowed for
someone like Clipka to join, and all the others to go on. I hope I will be able
to be also improving POV Converter for a long time, that's why I'll celebrate
the 10th anniversary in a few days with a bigger release and a doc sprint >
hereby incremented to also be a tutorial sprint, thanks !!!
Indeed that's already good feedback as it does give me something to do ! It DOES
give me something to do, it does !  :-D

About adorable Jim(s), now I feel really sorry and do apologize to Jim Henderson
that I do not have the luck to know as well, and was in fact *thinking* about
Jim Holsenback everytime I wrote Jim Henderson ! :-/ I am so sorry because he
cannot be as adorable as Jim Holsenback... To me... Yet anyway ... :-)