POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:05:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Jul 2020 20:50:01
Message: <web.5f1e249c17b7b05ffb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
> I have been striving to get some feedback for ten years, and keep
> adding and fixing features to the Blender-to-POV-and-back addon, which may, or
> may not, be less perfect in many ways. I get none... No, almost none, thanks to
> people like Jim, Stephen, and a few others of whom you may well be. but the
> point is not much feedback and even less contribution.

Time, effort, lack-of-familiarity and the prospect of ascending a new learning
curve...
If it's easy to install and begin using, then it certainly might get some use
from the folks who really must use modelers for most of their work.

But there have been thousands of GREAT ideas and products out there that have
died an "unfair" death just because of certain facts of life and human nature.
And one always ignores those things at their peril.  (The VHS / Beta phenomenon
amply illustrates this type of thing, as does political pandering to the morons
who understand nothing and never will)

Anyone who runs a business knows that nearly _50%_ of the budget may go straight
into advertising.  And so I'd say that updating something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4PmGLMyys
[this is the kind of screen-casting software I was referring to in a post I
can't find]
(and look at the comments - jeez :O )
would be time well spent, if it covers the major points to get someone started
and using the product FAST.
1. Here's where you download it
2. Here's how you easily install it
3. Here's how you model a simple shape with enough complexity to not just be a
scam demonstration
4. Here's how you go back and forth between POV-Ray and Blender.

It's less documentation, more tutorial, and mostly promotion.

And then the other thing that the advertisers know, is that you have to use
REPETITION.
The other thing that the advertisers know, is that you have to use REPETITION.

Because you have to keep it in the forefront of the customer's consciousness.

Because you have to use REPETITION.

So - you're likely doing all the right things in product development, but you're
not doing the things that you need to do in order to get people to use it.
Once they use it, they'll give you feedback.

> I did consider to rather invest all my time in Moray first, but it's build in
> lower level language, that I know much less about. Currently very little of the
> Blender addon is implemented in C++, only Syntax highlighting, the rest is all
> Python awesomeness.

I trust you, Maurice - I truly do.  I just had a bad Python experience once.

> The logo used at the head of the documentation:
> "Persistence of Vision" in the Maiandra GD font with bump cracks disappearing

> two shiny transparent spheres was fine then... in the nineties. Even the blue
> logo on the banner of the website is more modern, but the one on the POVwin
> splash screen is better than both in this regard.

Yeah - I don't mind the current logo / icon, but for outside advertising, we
could use something a bit - flashier.

> (please if you could avoid
> abbreviating, at least the logo to "povray" that would be great for french
> speakers, to which it sounds something like "RETARD" or "POORTHING", so any
> time we communicate people just laugh.

And now so am I.  :D

French translation of 'you poor thing!'
mon (ma) pauvre !