POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : GIF tool comparison : Re: GIF tool comparison Server Time
27 Apr 2024 00:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GIF tool comparison
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 20 Jul 2020 03:10:02
Message: <web.5f15428def2b6ccb79416a1f0@news.povray.org>
Hi there, I know this thread is over a year old but I recently needed to make an
animated .GIF. I also did some comparisons and found a combination of tools that
produced excellent results. Here's what I did:

1. Use IrfanView to reduce the images to 256 colors (no dithering, check the
"Use best color quality" box)

2. Use Photoshop to create the animated .GIF.

Using Photoshop to reduce the bit depth of the images produced surprisingly poor
results. I also tried Paint.net. On-line .GIF making utilities were even worse.
My final product is attached for comparison.

IrfanView is also a great tool to compare animated .GIFs because it can play
them magnified.

Mike, if you don't have Photoshop and you'd like to give it a try let me know
and I'll make the .GIF for you.

Have a great day!

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'prepareforwardotnet.gif' (167 KB)

Preview of image 'prepareforwardotnet.gif'
prepareforwardotnet.gif