POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ignorance rules! : Re: Ignorance rules! Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ignorance rules!
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Jun 2020 21:20:00
Message: <web.5ef940b4ea0d75eafb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> >> Yes, I will keep complaining about the scope leakage until it is fixed.
> >
> > This is an area where I've harbored suspicions and trepidation, due to
> > subconscious knowledge gathered from reading the newsgroups and docs over the
> > past years.
> >
> > Jr and I have recently been working on some code, and while implementing /
> > rewriting a macro, some recursion was introduced, and a variable identifier was
> > passed back into the macro as an argument.  Debugging hilarity ensued.

> Which area are you concerned about, scope leakage, or accidental
> pass-by-reference?

> Scope leakage is a different matter.

Scope leakage.
Pass-by method is fine so long as it's stable and reliable and constant.

Not knowing what scope I'm working in - that can be a real issue.
I'll have to think about the permutations and write a pov and inc file to see
how I can try to either break or retain the scope of a given variable between
the two files, and with loops and macros throw into each as well.