POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ignorance rules! : Re: Ignorance rules! Server Time
26 Apr 2024 08:54:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ignorance rules!
From: jr
Date: 25 Jun 2020 07:50:00
Message: <web.5ef48eccea0d75ea4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > so, it is late and I had too much coffee, probably..  :-)
>
> Too much _something.
> WTH is "too much coffee?"   :P

</grin>

> > ...  because, in all likelihood, it'll be a typo or logic error.
>
> Could be.   But I like the flexibility afforded by re-casting things on the fly.
> Learning good coding practices aside, allowing scenes to WORK (newbies to
> POV-Ray in mind) is something we should encourage.
> Issue warnings and suggestions - but full stop halts of parsing can be a real
> bummer.

the flip side is, every such "flexibility" comes, somewhere down the line, at
some cost.  for instance, allowing:
#declare A = "foo";
#declare A = <1,2,3>;

gives flexibility, but also means that (automatically) optimising code has
become too costly (in time), if not impossible altogether.

> > > --- On eval_pigment / Eval_Pigment (and alias capability).
> Similar questions have been raised:  ...

interesting thread, thanks.

regards, jr.