POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Hgpovray38, current state : Re: Hgpovray38, current state Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hgpovray38, current state
From: jr
Date: 4 Jun 2020 04:55:00
Message: <web.5ed8b565b933d8374d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > one hack-ish workaround could be to separate out the operations, ie in C I might
> > do something like:
> >
> > size_t const n = strlen(Get_Token_String(...));
> > char tmp_compound[4 + n] = {'\0'};
>
> So instead of this:
> char tmp_compound[4+strlen(Get_Token_String(CYLINDER_TOKEN))];
>
> ....and after adding the same include in parser_strings.cpp, I used:
>
> const ssize_t n = strlen(Get_Token_String(CYLINDER_TOKEN));
> char tmp_compound[4 + n];
>
> And still error messages from the same line not eval to const also tried with
> const int n = strlen(Get_Token_String(CYLINDER_TOKEN));

two points.  the 'strlen()' function returns a 'size_t', that is, an unsigned
value, while both 'int' and 'ssize_t' hold signed values; however, if that was
the problem you would have seen "warning: conversion to..." messages, not
errors.

second, I just downloaded 'Hg.226.Bigarade' and built it; one single warning
message aside, the program builds cleanly (on a Slackware GNU/Linux box).  so,
sorry, cannot help any further, but my advice is: either create a virtual
machine running a Linux, or install 'cygwin'[*], or explore whether the Windows
10/Ubuntu thing works for you.

(I read the following quote in someone's signature block years back
(paraphrased): "computers are like air-conditioning, they stop working when you
open Windows."  ;-))

[*] there are other s/wares too, like 'MinGW'.

regards, jr.