POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface beveled text : Re: Isosurface beveled text Server Time
2 May 2024 14:38:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface beveled text
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 May 2020 07:45:01
Message: <web.5ec123022b13293afb0b41570@news.povray.org>
> These objects are all derived directly from the standard POV-Ray fonts
> cyrvetic.ttf and timrom.ttf.  No hand construction of glyphs was
> involved.  I first created image maps from text{} objects using trace()
> (literally millions of calls), then used the image maps in isosurface
> functions.  The technique is slow to be sure, but it doesn't leave
> corner artifacts like Bevelled_Text() in shapes.inc does, and it can
> also create rounded edges, which Bevelled_Text() cannot do.
>
> I am working on a tutorial for this technique.

Oooooooooh.   Nice.

So many things just got cross-referenced in my head.

Can this be applied to prisms then as well?
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.5d75c2d16af53e9cecc0fada0%40news.povray.org%3E/

Can it be used to make something like Dave Blandston's bordered characters?
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.5bea4bb194d53ed979416a1f0%40news.povray.org%3E/

Perhaps make Center-line fonts / Single-line fonts from standard fonts, or the
reverse?

And do you think there's a way to decrease the number of trace() calls and
interpolate instead?

Very very nice work, as always   :)