POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm Back!? : Re: I'm Back!? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:49:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm Back!?
From: Leroy
Date: 16 May 2020 18:50:01
Message: <web.5ec06d46cdc6b096faf71aac0@news.povray.org>

It's now on Youtube https://youtu.be/q18Bh3hlfnM

> > While doing so I came upon a thing about natural splines. In order to make a
> > complete oval path I had to use 8 values from the end of the spline in front of
> > the basic spline & 8 values from the start of the spline at the end.
> > I wonder if any one has come across this before?
>
> What didn't work with fewer?

I couldn't get the spline output values to match exactly. I settle on 8 because
it gave a fractional match to 5 decimal places.
6 was good for 4 places, I tested up to 10 places(my spline was big 35 elements)

> I'm not a great user of POV-Ray's splines, but you do sometimes have to
> overlap on loops to get continuity or completeness. Never heard of
> anyone needing 8 additional values of both ends though. More wouldn't
> hurt I guess, so long as you are still picking off the loop values you
> need from the middle of the spline.

 I don't either, but I did use the dickens out of splines for this project.
After I made the road height field using splines, I made an image map with the
road pavement and the 3 lines on the road, They all use different splines. Oh I
almost forgot the path around the track and the sound track. Their the reason I
needed the spline extended. I was getting a jump when played as a loop.

> Glad you're back.
>
> Bill P.

Thanks Bill