POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mapping Textures on irregular shapes : Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes Server Time
2 May 2024 23:54:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes
From: Josh
Date: 6 May 2020 16:00:01
Message: <web.5eb3165a72e01857dc1270cd0@news.povray.org>
> Close.  Define 2 textures, each with a single pigment pattern.
>
> Then just do
> object {Object texture {texture1} texture {texture2}}
> The second will overlap the first.

Great, that worked!

> > 2) How can I change the seed for builtin functions that use random like agate,
> > granite, bozo, f_noise3d so that they produce different results?
>
> You don't really change the seed ---  if you envision the bozo as a volume of
> swirling color values - like poorly mixed paints, or drops of dye only beginning
> to diffuse in water and frozen in time, then what you do is just move your
> object, or move the texture, and they overlap differently.
>
> so just do
> object {texture {OverallTexture translate <x_amt, y_amt, z_amt>}}
> obviously you can rotate, scale, and apply transforms as well.

Certainly there must be a way to change the seed for f_noise3d at least to get a
different noise shape, right?

> > 3) If I have 15 asteroids defined like #declare aster1 = isosurface { ...
> > transform { Axis_Rotate_Trans( <1, .2, 0>, 360*clock) }}, how would I setup
> > povray to iterate through them and render a seperate animation for each
> > asteroid? I'm fine just writing an external program to iterate on them if
> > needed, but if it's easy I'd like to see the povray way...
>
> Pretty good question - I do believe it's possible, but I've never done it
> myself.
> Others surely will know.
> Hopefully you get that worked out and post the process.
> I'm sure it's different for M$ Win vs Linux

Is there a simple way to pass (commandline) parameters into Povray? If I could
pass in a single number, then I could do an if in Povray based on it and then
call Povray multiple times with different numbers to render the different
asteroids?...

Josh