POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speeding up rendering many spheres : Re: Speeding up rendering many spheres Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:39:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up rendering many spheres
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 May 2020 13:30:01
Message: <web.5eb2f40cddc05618fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
geo### [at] phareinvalid (Nicolas George) wrote:

> I have a scene made of 200k spheres merged on a path (like a sphere_sweep,
> but with changing pigment and a ringed look), few are big, many are tiny and
> barely visible. Unsurprisingly, it is taking forever to render.
>
> I am looking for ways to speed it up.

For bounding, blobs are apparently the way to go.
I guess you can use a strength of 1 and that should be a good starting point.

For pseudo-sphere-sweeps, I always use a sphere followed by checking if it's the
first sphere or not.
If not, then I draw a cylinder from the last sphere to this sphere.
Save this sphere in a variable for the next loop.
In your case with varying radii, you can use cones instead of cylinders.

Perhaps if that works well enough to fill in the space, then you can even
decrease the number of spheres you use drastically.

Alternately, and I have no idea if this has any advantage - you could model a
sphere as a mesh or mesh 2 unit sphere base object and just scale and translate
it.  But that might only save memory, not speed up the rendering.