POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mapping Textures on irregular shapes : Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes Server Time
3 May 2024 01:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 May 2020 20:15:00
Message: <web.5eaf5d7972e01857fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"Josh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> 1) (How) can I overlay pigment textures? I am envisoning something like the
> following where I overlay a bozo pigment on top of an agate pigment, with
> transparency on the bozo color map... Ideally, where the bozo map is not
> transparent it would replace the pigment of the agate color map, not add to
> it...
>
> pigment
> {
>   agate
>   color_map
>   {
>     [0 Gold]
>     [1 Brown]
>   }
>   bozo
>   color_map
>   {
>     [0 Transparent]
>     [1 Red]
>   }
> }

Close.  Define 2 textures, each with a single pigment pattern.

Then just do
object {Object texture {texture1} texture {texture2}}
The second will overlap the first.

> 2) How can I change the seed for builtin functions that use random like agate,
> granite, bozo, f_noise3d so that they produce different results?

You don't really change the seed ---  if you envision the bozo as a volume of
swirling color values - like poorly mixed paints, or drops of dye only beginning
to diffuse in water and frozen in time, then what you do is just move your
object, or move the texture, and they overlap differently.

so just do
object {texture {OverallTexture translate <x_amt, y_amt, z_amt>}}
obviously you can rotate, scale, and apply transforms as well.

> 3) If I have 15 asteroids defined like #declare aster1 = isosurface { ...
> transform { Axis_Rotate_Trans( <1, .2, 0>, 360*clock) }}, how would I setup
> povray to iterate through them and render a seperate animation for each
> asteroid? I'm fine just writing an external program to iterate on them if
> needed, but if it's easy I'd like to see the povray way...

Pretty good question - I do believe it's possible, but I've never done it
myself.
Others surely will know.
Hopefully you get that worked out and post the process.
I'm sure it's different for M$ Win vs Linux