POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mapping Textures on irregular shapes : Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes Server Time
5 May 2024 11:55:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes
From: Josh
Date: 24 Apr 2020 23:25:01
Message: <web.5ea3ac8472e01857dc1270cd0@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Le 2020-04-23 à 02:13, Josh a écrit :
> > As a starting point, any advice to create a variety of textures something like
> > these?
> >
> > https://opengameart.org/content/24-bigger-asteroids
> > https://opengameart.org/content/432-isometrics-rocks-and-asteroids
> >
> > Josh
> >

> Looking at those and I can tell that most of the effect come from the
> geometry itself. The textures themselves looks pretty simple.
>
> You should experiment with plain pigments as well as with the textures
> from stones.inc, stones1.inc and stone2.inc as well as those from
> textures.inc
>
> When using those, imagine that you are carving your object from a
> massive block made from those textures 3D.

Yes, I figured out more with textures and I agree, the textures should be
straightforward. Does anyone have ideas about how to make more complex geometry?
It's not too hard to add noise3d to a basic shape, but any ideas about how to
(programmatically?) create more of those complex rough rocky geometries? Thanks
to everyone for the help.

Josh