POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Modernize Moray : Re: Modernize Moray Server Time
26 Apr 2024 03:54:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modernize Moray
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Apr 2020 13:45:01
Message: <web.5ea32544c65f7019fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"sparthir" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I am still hanging out for it to be released opensource so we can hack on it to
> get it up to date.  Even if it no longer was primarily for POVRay but rather
> putting out STL files for 3D Printing that would be awesome.
>
> I mean imagine raytracing your 3D object before you print it even!

True, but with minor modifications to the code, or writing out meta-code to a
file with a macro (as I have done with SVG), you can at least use OpenSCAD
https://www.openscad.org/ to do the 3D printing.

> I feel like since POVRay doesn't have a top quality modeller in line with it's
> raytracer it has really hurt the project.  Shame because I love them both.

It's true - even many of us die-hard SDL-writers would love to have a modeler to
supplement the workflow.  AFAIK, POV-Ray now owns the rights to Moray, and
someone has the code somewhere....