POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled : Re: X Windows display: disabled Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:46:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X Windows display: disabled
From: Jeff Houck
Date: 27 Mar 2020 14:05:00
Message: <web.5e7e3f146c2a6a24ba15bf7d0@news.povray.org>
"Jeff Houck" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> BGimeno <bru### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I have tried to compile the latest version 3.8.0.9861167 alpha and as in
> > the official version that I compiled I still have the problem that it
> > does not show the image while it is generated. While compiling it shows
> > the following message,
> >
> > Built-in features:
> >    I/O restrictions:          enabled
> >    X Window display:          disabled
> >    Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
> >    Unsupported image formats: openexr
> >
> > Compilation settings:
> >    Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> >    Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
> >    Compiler vendor:     gnu
> >    Compiler version:    g++ 7
> >    Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
> > -fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -s -O3 -ffast-math
> > -march=native -pthread
> >    Libraries:           -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lrt -lm -lboost_thread
> > -pthread  -lboost_system
> >

> > Note that in the Built-in features the X Windows display is disabled.
> >
> > I have followed the detailed instructions in
> > https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/blob/master/unix/README.md
> > and I think that the dependencies listed do not include the necessary X
> > server or XCygwin or X11 or XDisplay or whatever it is called.
> >
> > Can someone tell me what is needed to complete the installation?
> >
> > Thank you very much
> > B. Gimeno
>
> Sorry to necro this thread but ...
>
> Is this issue being addressed in the current 3.8 branch? I'm compiling
> povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268 on a Ubuntu-based distro after being advised it's
> the most stable of the development versions. However, as others have posted
> using either SDL1.2 or 2.0 throws errors in the compilation phase. I could
> simply bash-script up a solution to invoke something like LXImage when the
> render completes but having it "built in" is so convenient. :)
>
> Just curious where this is at. I have some time now, retired and under
> "lockdown" from the pandemic, to spend some time working on this problem.
> However, if the 3.8 branch is no longer being actively developed (perhaps in
> favor of 4.x?), or the SDL problem is addressed in another development version,
> I'd like to know.
>
> Any response is appreciated. Cheers.

FIXED

Well, it was fairly simple to fix when using SDL1.2. I added:

using namespace std:

to povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268/unix/disp_sdl.cpp:

    using namespace std;
    using namespace vfe;
    using namespace vfePlatform;

and it all compiles and works fine. I spent most of my time doing C programming
and not C++ so the namespace solution didn't jump out at me at first.

I'll leave changing over to SDL2 for later. It appears I'd have to mess about
with the m4 files ... ;)

Cheers.