POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : NURBS : Re: NURBS Server Time
26 Apr 2024 15:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Mar 2020 17:25:01
Message: <web.5e6956746d1ce2044eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> If you are on Nurbs, I did them in hg-povray.
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/nurbs

I knew you'd tackle them eventually.   It must have been virtually irresistible
for you.  :D

> It's just missing a modeler to export the raw data (all the modelers
> I've seen export them as mesh, something easily done in SDL).

Well, I had thought about trying to do something with NURBS in Javascript, as a
project to spur me along the learning curve, and use as a qualification of some
sort.

From the "small" of amount of reading I've done, the big difference between
NURBS and Bezier are the basis functions - NURBS control points being much more
local in their effect on the curve. I'm going through Piegl's _The NURBS Book_ -
which is excellent - very thorough, and with code examples.
I'm assuming that for a good modeler, knot insertion, refinement, and removal
would be highly desirable.

I saw a while back that you had started on NURBS, and actually did rational
Bezier - that seemed easy.   Did you find it a real challenge to get proper
NURBS working correctly?

Thanks, Jerome  :)