POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STL binary floating data. : Re: STL binary floating data. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 21:34:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STL binary floating data.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Mar 2020 22:25:00
Message: <web.5e66f99d517dbb514eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> The goal for export bin stl WHILE I am working on the CAD dwg, is for to view a
> runtime quickly step by step the design, and without I have to save the dwg (or
> DXF).

So, you're trying to export from CAD to STL so that you can render in POV-RAY
while you're in the process of making edits to the "mesh" model?

I'm wondering if you can somehow use FreeCAD in your workflow?

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?title=Raytracing_Module
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Raytracing_tutorial

This is some pretty impressive work that you've done, and the results look
_really_ nice.   I wish I had some LISP or other language programming experience
to better offer a viable solution.

Hopefully someone who does will eventually see this thread and have some
suggestions.
Leroy and Dick Balaska seem to do a fair bit of coding like this.

I'm certainly interested in learning more about your work and how to implement
it.   There are a lot of people who _want_ to use POV-Ray but don't, because
there is no actively-supported modeler.

The rest of us use CSG, or some of us are driven to distraction writing
specialized workarounds....  ;)

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5da27a2a65c96eb4eec112d0%40news.povray.org%3E/