POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloudscape : Re: Cloudscape Server Time
8 Jun 2024 22:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloudscape
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 7 Dec 2019 08:25:01
Message: <web.5deba7465bb70f084eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] cabassoncom> wrote:
> ... I was lacking specific built-in functions that can
> express density for the medias involed within a spherical shell.

> ... (wish it were native ...).

> -) Another would be a series of classical patterns (wrinkles works quite fine),
> but contained in a spherial shell. I hope it can be expressed mathematically.

I think all of that is certainly doable.

If you take whatever pattern you want to use, you can wrap it around into a
sphere using polar coordinates, as Mike Williams shows here:

#declare F=function {f_mesh1
  (x, y, z, 0.15, 0.15, 1, 0.02, 1) - 0.03}

isosurface {
  function { F(f_ph(x,y,z), f_r(x,y,z)-1, f_th(x,y,z)) }

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/substitute.htm

and as I'm sure you already know, all manner of new functions can obviously be
integrated into a scene, if you try hard enough, for long enough.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5d3c5fe27be432e04eec112d0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=428926

Perhaps you could start by making a proof-of-concept include file with the
density functions, and then maybe that could be translated to source by Jerome
Grimbert, Bill Pokorny, or someone else who understands the necessary changes
and additions to be done in the various places.

If there's a simple density pattern that you'd like to try in source, maybe see
about just replacing the definition for one of the native POV-Ray patterns that
is redundant (there are 2 or 3) and use that as your cloud pattern.  Then just
make a POV-Ray build with those edits and see how it works.

If I understand things correctly, the new source is hellish to follow, due to
the the threading, but the older versions are simpler and more straightforward.

Bill