POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD : Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:44:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Nov 2019 17:05:01
Message: <web.5dc9da72f7b9a3af4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> after posting _that_ I remembered you mentioning your being new to Linux etc in
> another thread.  so some more on command lines etc below.  (I really feel old -

I was new 20 years ago, I just haven't been involved in administration of the
NMR computers or had the SGI O2 to play with for about a decade.  So every
little bit helps, whether it's something I "know" or not.

> and can be just a set of data points, ie no "shape" required?  powerful.

Correct.   Data is data is data.  It doesn't have to be geometric at all.
It could be correlating customer purchases with zip codes or what movie watchers
might also like to watch, or what their most likely preferred theatre snack is,
or just about anything that you can think of.

> > 2D data can be aligned so that the most elongated part is along one axis, and
> > the rest of the data perpendicular to that gets rotated to be in the cardinal
> > plane,
>
> interesting too but cannot visualise use cases.  when (what kind of data) would
> you use that?

Just search "application of singular value decomposition to ...."  and it goes
on and on and on....

> testing, testing..  :-)

Yeah.   I upped my test case to 400 points, switched over from the "narrow"
version to the "wide" version, found that all of that introduces some problems,
learned a bit more (logical in retrospect) about the resulting matrices, and now
am awaiting some replies from hopefully helpful experts On The Internet.

I used to write shell scripts, and do a bunch of regular expression stuff, but I
have to get back into that - time, energy, focus, round tuits allowing....

Good progress so far, just have to make it past the usual frustrating roadblocks
to reach the end....