POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD : Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD Server Time
2 May 2024 22:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Nov 2019 20:40:00
Message: <web.5dc8bb38f7b9a3af4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> looks great.
>
> > Thanks for the line of code - that will be the next step after some more
> > tinkering:  packaging it up into an easy to use utility.
>
> after posting it occurred to me that you might want your data files resemble the
> matrix, rather than having a value per line.

Yes, that's what I was planning on.

> looking forward to more on svd.  is it useful only for (vaguely)
> spherical/elliptical shapes?

Nah.  Anything that doesn't have a symmetric distribution.

so I'd say that off-axis linear data can be oriented,

2D data can be aligned so that the most elongated part is along one axis, and
the rest of the data perpendicular to that gets rotated to be in the cardinal
plane,

and the ellipsoid is just the easy 3D version of that, but any set of vectors
could be used.

Hopefully some of the finer points become clearer in the near future.

Looking at what I just posted, and how I've noticed changes in the SVD output
with different data, maybe all I need for a better alignment is more points ...