POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : bounding box calculator : Re: bounding box calculator Server Time
3 May 2024 09:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bounding box calculator
From: jr
Date: 4 Nov 2019 20:30:00
Message: <web.5dc0d03c34d8ef06feeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > 'C', not 'C++'.  ;-)  (in an ideal world, anyway)
>
> I can't really ever tell the difference just by looking   :P
>
> > I think cutting and pasting that c++ code into a single source and getting that
> > to compile, or at least spit out errors, would be a good exercise, then.
>
> .... a single source.  a .c file and then do a gcc compile to make a ... .bin?
> ..exe?

one file, yes.  the usual extension is '.cpp'.  then compiling with:
  $ c++ myfile.cpp
should create an 'a.out' executable.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1268576/Singular-Values-Decomposition-SVD-In-Cplusplus11-B

> I have never "built" anything from scratch, so I really have no idea what I'm
> doing or why.

now's the time.

> > I did not read the article too closely but am under the impression that if one
> > re-assembles the functions in one source file, it'll build.  do you want to use
> > this code as a starting point?  if yes, then that will determine/influence the
> > data format.
>
> Sure, whatever.   but that guy's code is redundant to the gsl library.  If I've
> already installed that - isn't that ... built? (*)

sure, but a library is just (a bag of) components.

> > yes, in all likelihood _but_ how's your 'C', Bill?  or are you .. wedded to
> > 'C++'?
>
> I used to write a bunch of stuff for different Arduinos - ATMega and Leonardo...
>  still some confusion as to whether that's C or c++

Arduino has a 'C' SDK afaik.

> But I'm sure I could learn.  I _would_ rather stick with one language, to
> minimize confusion, and if POV-Ray source is in c++, then I'd prefer that, but
> I'm sure one translates over to the other to some extent.

it does, and it doesn't.  while c++ was developed from c, and so has some vague
visual semblance, that exactly is a big problem -- people tend to overestimate
the "some extent".

from a practical point of view, forget the POV-Ray source for now, other than
for reading.  get working experience of the tool chain.

since I do not speak c++, I won't be too much help when, as we all do, you find
yourself in a battle with the finer points of the language, however, maybe Dick
Balaska will chip in.

> (*)
> oem@oem-Inspiron-N5110 ~/Desktop $ apt-cache show gsl-bin
> Package: gsl-bin

looks like you're good to go.  (effing weird this gratuitous splitting of
packages in to 'bin' and 'dev'.  but hey, "you pays your money and takes your
choice")

regards, jr.