POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Future of missing "assume_gamma" : Future of missing "assume_gamma" Server Time
28 Apr 2024 06:35:23 EDT (-0400)
  Future of missing "assume_gamma"
From: Greg Kennedy
Date: 3 Nov 2019 01:10:00
Message: <web.5dbe6e69db426e49984b401a0@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray 3.7 gives this warning if you try to trace a scene without assumed_gamma
set:

>  Possible Parse Error: assumed_gamma not specified in this POV-Ray 3.7 or later
>   scene. Future versions of POV-Ray may consider this a fatal error. To avoid
>   this warning, explicitly specify 'assumed_gamma 1.0' in the global_settings
>   section. See the documentation for more details.

My question is: Why will this become a fatal error, instead of just defaulting
to 1.0?  It seems like most people would *want* there to be some sensible
default, instead of breaking and having to add additional keywords to their
scenes.  I know I would, anyway.

-Greg