POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : versions : Re: versions Server Time
3 May 2024 00:33:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: versions
From: Mr
Date: 1 Nov 2019 05:00:01
Message: <web.5dbbf24cbc8376fb12f626e0@news.povray.org>
> Op 25/10/2019 om 17:18 schreef Dick Balaska:
> > Speaking of POV-Ray versions, what version are y'all using?
> >
> > I see several tags in git,
> > v3.8.0-x.tokenizer.* (2019-01-02)
> > v3.8.0-x.freetype.2 (2019-02-19)
> > and
> > v3.8.0-alpha.10064268 (2019-02-18)
> >
> > Is the tokenizer stable?  I was waiting for clipka to merge that before
> > importing it into qtpovray, but he seems to have wandered off into RL.
> >
> > Cousin Ricky says the '268 version doesn't build out of the box.
> >
> > I wished we'd cut a 3.8.0 release when we were oh-so-close 2 years ago.
> > There were a bunch of new features over 3.7 and it was pretty stable. My
> > plan was to release qtpovray to the debian pool when 3.8 happened, but
> > it looks like now an actual 3.8 release is a dream.
> >
> > -
> > dik
> > Rendered 17306265600 of 40928716800 pixels (42%)
>

> I am using povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268-av691-win64 which is stable as
> far as I can tell: I never had any strange things happening. Don't know
> where Clipka has wandered off to, but I have assumed that he has decided
> to dedicate himself entirely to the development of POV-Ray, without
> being disturbed by our shouts and bangings on the front door. ;-)
>
> I may be wrong, though...
>
> --
> Thomas

Happy that it does feature AA type 3, etc. I am waiting to see if 3.8 can merge
as many versions as possible (using Uberpov and 3.7 currently) if nothing from
uberpov is missing in 3.8 AND if it gets officially distributed (builds?) The
Blender exporter could be simplified switching to it only. any chance of seing
HG pov  get merged as well?
I would speculate that Indeed clipka could be coding silently on bigger projects
than usual rather than just having a life, because that would be more consistent
 with the mysterious new color spaces that were added to POV 3.8 :-) Unless
someone else put them there and could explain what they are for?