POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : vrml : Re: vrml Server Time
1 May 2024 17:56:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: vrml
From: jr
Date: 18 Oct 2019 09:35:01
Message: <web.5da9bf5642f938b8feeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 10/17/19 10:35 AM, jr wrote:
> > "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >> wrt the 'spiral' conversion, found it now:
> > quickly cobbled together a 'spiral-rotate.wrl', to illustrate (ease of) reuse.
>
> Thanks. I can sort of follow this ascii file.
>
> However, I've not been able to view anything you've posted in firefox.
> Suppose I don't have a necessary extension installed or something.  Not
> done any digging yet on how to get things going.

you will need a VR browser.  people I know of use multiple different for testing
etc, but I use (only) 'freewrl'[*].  in addition to the executable, it installs
a browser plug-in which works for both Firefox and Seamonkey on Slackware 14.1 +
14.2.

you will also need to add a couple of mime types, unless Ubuntu boxes have them
already.  my two-line '~/.mime-types' file reads:
model/x3d+vrml[tab]x3dv x3dvz
model/x3d+xml[tab]x3d x3dz

then opening a link to a world file from within Firefox pops up a vr browser
window.

[*] http://freewrl.sourceforge.net/

given you appreciate books, I picked an unused copy of Rikk Carey & Gavin Bell
"The Annotated VRML 2.0 Reference Manual", about a year ago.  ;-)
(it comes with an interactive version of the book plus examples on CD, send me
an email if you're interested)

regards, jr.