POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tangents with analytical geomtery : Re: Tangents with analytical geomtery Server Time
8 Jun 2024 16:02:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tangents with analytical geomtery
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Oct 2019 21:20:01
Message: <web.5da912bb21826f334eec112d0@news.povray.org>

> Now I have to start integrating the Arc segments code, and hopefully it will all
> hang together and give me a nice prism.

Still picking apart bits and pieces and seeing many new ways in which the data
can be interpreted.  Trying to keep it simple enough to get to rendering a prism
sometime by the weekend.

Got some more internal bits of code cleaned up, and some new parts written, and
managed to puzzle out the circles so that there are endpoints of two arcs that
match the endpoints of the 2 chosen tangent lines attached to that circle.
(Black and white)

> I need to "scale" and rotate the radial pigment to match arcs of different
> angles and orientations,

That seems really confusing right now, as I would have thought that the
frequency would have changed the pattern so that it had some sort of static
starting angle, but it doesn't look that way to me - unless the colors are just
confusing me.
(See bottom set of tori labeled with radial frequencies)

And I just got done working this last part out, so I didn't have time to remap
the color map, write an experimental radial scene, and look at the pattern
source code to see how it works.

The goal is to get a green-to-red pattern to span any given arc - be it a black
or white segment - using frequency to "scale" the color map to the desired arc
angle, and then rotate it to match the Segment_of_Torus in the preview.

Maybe there's a completely different way to accomplish the same task?

Tomorrow is a new day.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'serpentinebeltprism.png' (554 KB)

Preview of image 'serpentinebeltprism.png'
serpentinebeltprism.png