POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generate normal map : Re: Generate normal map Server Time
8 May 2024 01:03:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generate normal map
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Oct 2019 15:50:01
Message: <web.5d94fef1892ac194eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Josh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Sorry, I should have been more clear. I need to create a normal map of the
> asteroid because the generated sprite (lit only with ambient light) and normal
> map, are going to be used in a 2D game that has its own lights. The game engine
> uses the sprite and normal map to properly light the sprite. Also, I had found a
> script that generates the mesh, so at this point I'm just trying to figure out
> how to generate a normal map of it, and to light it with only ambient light.
> Thanks!

Can you describe / link to your game engine?
Provide an example of the mesh file and what the requirements for the "sprite"
and the normal map are?

If you plug the three vertices of each triangle into the plane equation, you get
A, B, C and D and that will give you the normal vector.

I'm assuming that you want some sort of even, shadowless 50% gray "ambient
light" result from the render so that it can be _re_lit in the game engine using
that as a starting point...   But without specifics, I'm only guessing and can
only help you so much.