POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay features suggestions : Re: PovRay features suggestions Server Time
6 May 2024 09:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay features suggestions
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Sep 2019 21:30:00
Message: <web.5d8d654a6417acdd4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> what POV-Ray "needs" is a decent book or two written about it.  :-(

I'd rather see a better editor, with a context-sensitive menu and a feature like
#alias.

I'm wondering if there's a word processor that uses macros which can be used to
start a POV-Ray render of the saved document file...

> write a pre-processor which translates "I want ..." to assorted primitives and
> outputs scene code?  :-)

Another thing along those lines was the idea of having a [semi] lockable data
format, to protect against inadvertent changes.

As a present alternative to that, I thought it would be interesting to have a
spreadsheet that could show the current value of any #declare[d] variables,
ranges, graphs, etc, would create SDL in a print area for saving to a .pov file,
and then the cells could be password protected.

And REALLY what I would love to see is a way to embed the SDL for a render into
the image file itself.  No more losing the code - or working version of the code
- that made the image.
I know there's a way to merge a zip or other archive file into things like jpg,
so that you can open the file like an archive and extract the files ----
but I distinctly recall someone posting an example of a file where it was a book
cover, and when you simply renamed the image file to .txt or .doc or .pdf or
whatever it was - then the OS (Windows) recognized it as _that_ and opened it in
the appropriate application.

Still working on hunting down how to do that...