POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : From POV-Ray to Python : Re: From POV-Ray to Python Server Time
24 May 2024 19:38:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: From POV-Ray to Python
From: Mr
Date: 16 Jul 2019 18:50:00
Message: <web.5d2e53857a5716c6884ec9560@news.povray.org>
"Joost" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was curious for some general help. I've built cityscapes in POV-ray for 2D
> images a decade ago. With the new possibilities of 3D printing I was thinking of
> making 3D models of cities the way I used to do in POV-ray for 2D rendering. As
> it seems complex and a lot of work to go through POV-Ray to STL, I was looking
> into scripting in Python with Blender. Does anyone have any experience with
> that? Is it possible to code objects in the same manner as in POV-ray (apart
> from the differences in programming language of course)? Or are there
> limitations to what can be done in Python? Any experience/tips?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Joost

Hi !
Indeed you can do about the same things in Blender through Python, that is
specifying some primitives or mesh elements and their coordinates, etc.
We used such features to create Blender's POV-Ray importer and exporter, their
best implementation is in current stable version (blender 2.79)

Do not hesitate to ask questions, POV-Converter has a Facebook page, a
Wordpress, a gmail account and my personal email is at hotmail fr

Best regards,
Maurice Raybaud.